Belgavi: Karnataka’s sugar minister, Shivanand Patil, has assured us that there are no issues regarding the state’s pending sugarcane bills. Addressing the media on Monday, he stated that all 72 sugar factories have taken steps to ensure payments to farmers who have supplied sugarcane. He says around 80% of the payments have already been made, while some factories have cleared between 55% and 60% of their dues. He emphasised that there are no obstacles in clearing the remaining payments, reported, The Times of India.
“Sugar production is expected to decline by about 10% compared to last year. We had set a target of crushing 520 lakh tonnes of sugarcane last year, but that goal was not achieved. Due to last year’s drought, this year’s crushing target will be further reduced by 10%,” Patil said.
To curb fraudulent practices in sugarcane weighing, digital weighing machines have been installed in all 72 factories. Representatives from the Sugarcane Control Board have visited these factories and inspected the machines. “Currently, there are no irregularities in the weighing process,” he assured.